Not a Walk in the Park
Walking is easy: you can do it anywhere, anytime with no special equipment. There's no learning curve and it's something you can incorporate all day long. However, The Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Review featured a study about walking for exercise and found that only 26% of the people in the study walked briskly enough to achieve the intensity level recommended by the U.S. surgeon general. So, how do you know when you're going fast enough? Use the checklist below to make your walking workout more effective.
Your walking checklist:
- Pump your arms. Keep your elbows at 90 degrees and swing your arms back and forth in a natural motion to add intensity.
- Shorten your stride. In her article "10 Walking Mistakes to Avoid", Wendy Bumgardner says, "All of the power of your walk comes from pushing with the back leg and foot." When you increase your speed, take shorter, quicker steps.
- Stand up straight. Are you slumping? Good posture helps you breathe easier and you put less stress on your back, shoulders and neck.
- Walk briskly. What is brisk? It means walking fast enough to cover at least 3.5 miles in an hour. To figure it all out, walk a mile and time it. If you make it in 15 minutes or less, you're on the right track.
- Monitor your intensity. Pretend as though you're late for an appointment or hurrying to catch a bus. That should be your pace throughout your workout.
- Walk long enough. Your walk should be between 30-60 minutes.
- Spice things up. How about adding some hills, speed-walking or even jogging to boost intensity? This is no time to stop and smell the roses (although you can enjoy their lovely color as you whisk by).
my bro gave me this book.. i dont know.. last year maybe... he got this book for his loyalty to reader's digest.. i guess..... now, I already read this book.. (finally).. i will have to follow the guides.. i wanna get a pedometer..
i really need to get my head straight towards achieving my goal!! if i want to impress the person that i have a crush rite now, i need to be in a good shape.. healthy.. i will have to.. i got no other choice.. this is the only choice i have... wish me luck peepss!!!